Monday, October 26, 2009

Grandma's Funeral Weekend

Kennedy and I took a quick trip to Parowan for Grandma Hulet's funeral. I was able to talk to grandma earlier in the week before her passing. She told me over and over that she loved me and that she wanted me to be happy. I told her that I loved her too, and that I was never going to get her bread recipe right. She told me to keep at it.
The viewing and funeral was really nice. It was good to see so many familiar faces of friends and family. I had the privilege of reading grandma's eulogy. It was really tough for me, but I knew that she was there with me helping me get through it. This is what was said in the eulogy
"Cora Jones Hulet: On October 20, 2009 Cora Jones Hulet, “The Little Dove” flew off to be with her loving “Cowboy”, Rupert Stevens Hulet. Surrounded by her family and friends who whispered words of love, cherished memories and gratitude, she peacefully graduated with honor from this life. Grandma was born February 10, 1920, in Goshen, very close to Shelly, Idaho to Joseph Melling Jones and Nancy Myrtle Singleton. She has 4 brothers and 2 sister; Dortha, Charles Isaac, Winslow ; Myrtle Rae , Gordon and Joseph. Grandma met Grandpa in Riverton, Wyoming, at church. grandpa said “I roped her out on the range and put shoes one her” They married June 17, 1942 in Clarkson, Nevada and it was solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple. Cora and Rupert are the parents of five children, Margaret , Elliot J. ,Leslie J , and Rupert Del . They have 17 grandchildren and 37 great grandchildren. Grandma has been an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving wherever asked. She served as President of the Stake Young Women’s Organization for many years. She and Dad served a mission for the church in the Denver Colorado Mission. They served together as temple workers in the St. George Temple. She dearly loved the LORD and thanked him every day of her life for his many many blessings. She was the Iron County assistant Recorder and then was elected as the Iron County Recorder for 26 years. While serving in that position she wrote the first proclamation for the Association of State Recorders..She served as Secretary, Vice President and President of the Association. She along with her grandpa loved gardening, her lovely roses and riding horses. They were active members of the Red Hill Wranglers and she reminisced of all the times they spent together. Little children and small animals fell under her spell. She loved having animals around especially kittens and friendly cats. Grandma was especially fond of her family.
Grandma lived a very simple, humble life… A life I believe most of us would be lucky to live now a days. I remember one time grandma commented on my wedding ring. She said “Nessie, I never had a diamond before. The wedding band I now wear used to be your grandpas he had it sized to fit my finger.” I could tell that that ring meant more to her than any diamond ever would. Grandma was always grateful for the small and simple things. Sentiment seemed to out weigh any dollar amount in her eyes. Grandma and Grandpas’ home was not what you would say the most updated, modern, but it was always a welcome home. A place where whoever entered felt comfort and love. It was always filled with homemade bread, fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden, and little toy animals that could do back flips. Spending time at grandma’s was always a treat for me. Literally!! Grandma knew a lot about treats. Cake, ice cream, candy bars and treats in nearly every room. She would even let me drink a coke as long as my parents weren’t around. I spent many hours on grandma and grandpas back porch shelling peas, snapping green beans, or just enjoying their majestic garden. One thing that I knew about grandma was that she loved grandpa. I have never known such an amazing relationship of kindness, sacrifice and love. I know that their recent reunion must have been a joyful one. Grandma was proceeded in death by her parents, husband, son, sister Dortha Elizabeth Hulet and her brother Charles Isaac Jones. We are grateful for the loving care given to her by the Iron County Home Health. Tonya Dalley, Angelia Barclay and her family, Dave and Laurel Matheson and family and Dale & Geri Bettridge and their family. We love you grandma and will always have a special place in our hearts for you!!!"
I've attached a few pictures that I took of her home and her program from her funeral. If any of you have memories that you would like to share about grandma I would love to have them added to my blog, so please leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment