Fall is my favorite time of the year. The air is crisp, the leaves are changing, and the world seems to be slowing down. Pumpkin bread, cinnamon, and steaming wassail are some of my favorite Fall indulgences. Fall also brings a plethora of crab apples on our enormous crab apple trees, which in turn, become jelly.
Living in Southern California leaves more to be desired when experiencing season changes. Palm trees, birds of paradise, and most flowers continue to grow and flourish year round. The weather may cool slightly, but not enough to be described as crisp. The beaches are filled with surfers, and jackets are optional. The lack of seasons causes me to feel homesick for my Southern Utah roots.
Each Fall I take a trip to, beautiful, Panguitch, UT to experience Fall in its fullest. I explore the local mountains searching for the changing colors of the aspen leaves. I revel in the crisp, see your breath, air. Sitting, watching, and soaking in the scenery literally takes my breath away.Our small fixer upper, in Panguitch, comes complete with many crab apple trees. The fruit is ripe and ready to be harvested in late September or early October.

Picking apples with my daughter is one of the most satisfying activities in Fall. This past week we spent several hours each day, up on a ladder, picking the small, seemingly insignificant fruit. After we picked all that we could reach, we took inventory of our harvest. Off to the steamer went the apples in hopes that they would produce enough juice for delicious crab apple jelly. We were pleasantly surprised to have extracted four quarts of juice. Using my mothers' tried and true jelly recipe, we were able to make eighteen half pints of crab apple jelly. It is delicious! As Fall continues to transform from summer, I am reminded of the happiness that I feel being in nature, slowing down, and appreciating the world around me.

No comments:
Post a Comment